The Law Office Of William B. Bennett, Reduce Child Support Payments

If You Have Lost Your Job, The State Of Florida Has Options To Modify Child Support Orders

The stress of losing a job in today’s uncertain economy can take a toll on any family. It is especially hard when the parents are separated. However, losing one’s job does not always allow us to reduce or halt payments in Florida. Courts often require continued contributions. So, there can be potential consequences for stopping payments without the court’s approval. Though losing employment is difficult, there are options to help reduce child support payments. Overall, acting in good faith to provide for children remains essential, even during financial instability.

How Losing Your Job Impacts Child Support in Florida

Obligations Don’t Disappear

Losing your job is undoubtedly a difficult and stressful situation. However, it does not automatically nullify your obligation to pay court-ordered child support in Florida. Even if you are unemployed, you are still legally required to make these payments on time and in full.

Modifying Support Amounts

That said, if your income has changed substantially due to job loss, you may be able to petition the court to modify the amount of child support you pay. The key factors considered include your new income level, reasonable living expenses, and the child’s needs.

To initiate this process, you’ll need to file a Supplemental Petition to Modify Final Judgment with the court that issued the original child support order. Be prepared to provide documentation of your changed financial circumstances. Working with an experienced child support attorney can help make this process quick and painless.

Potential Consequences

Failing to pay court-ordered child support can have severe consequences in Florida. Delinquent payments could lead to driver’s license suspension, bank account garnishment, tax refund interception, and even jail time for repeated non-payment.

At The Law Office of William B. Bennett, our experienced family law attorneys understand how stressful life changes like job loss can impact your ability to pay child support. We’ll advocate aggressively to help you secure a fair modification that protects your rights while ensuring your children’s needs are met.

What Are My Options To Reduce Child Support Payments In Florida?

Petitioning the Court for Modification

In the state of Florida, if you experience a substantial change in circumstances that impacts your ability to pay court-ordered child support, you have the option to petition the court for a modification. Common reasons may include job loss, income reduction, disability, or an increase in specific expenses related to the child’s needs. We recommend consulting with an experienced family law attorney to guide you through the legal process and represent your best interests.

Mediation or Informal Agreement

Another potential avenue is to pursue mediation or negotiate an informal agreement with the other parent regarding a temporary or permanent modification to the child support order. This approach can be more amicable and cost-effective, but it’s crucial to ensure any agreement is properly documented and submitted to the court for approval to maintain its legal enforceability.

Documenting Financial Changes

Regardless of the path you choose, it’s essential to gather comprehensive documentation substantiating the change in your financial situation. This may include employment records, pay stubs, tax returns, and evidence of any new financial obligations or expenses that necessitate a child support modification.

Seeking Legal Guidance

At The Law Office of William B. Bennett, our experienced family law team understands the complexities surrounding child support matters. We will aggressively pursue cases for our clients and protect their rights at every stage of the process to achieve the most favorable outcome. Losing a job doesn’t automatically terminate your child support obligations in Florida, but we can guide you through the proper legal channels to seek a fair modification reflective of your current circumstances.

Consequences of Stopping Child Support Payments in Florida

We understand the financial strain that job loss can bring. However, it’s crucial to recognize that failing to pay court-ordered child support in Florida can have severe consequences.

Legal Repercussions

Stopping child support payments without proper legal modifications is considered a violation of court orders. This can lead to various legal actions against you, including:

  • Contempt of court charges, which may result in fines or even jail time.
  • Garnishment of wages, tax refunds, or bank accounts to recover unpaid support.
  • Suspension or revocation of professional licenses, making it harder to secure employment.

Negative Impact on Your Children

Child support payments are designed to ensure the well-being and financial security of your children. By neglecting these obligations, you may inadvertently deprive them of essential resources for their care, education, and overall development.

Damaged Credit and Financial Consequences

Unpaid child support debts can severely impact your credit score, making it difficult to secure loans, rentals, or even employment opportunities in the future. Additionally, interest may accrue on the outstanding balance, compounding the financial burden over time.

Potential Criminal Charges

In extreme cases, failure to pay child support can lead to criminal charges for non-support. This can result in hefty fines, probation, or even jail time, further complicating your financial situation and personal life.

While job loss can be challenging, it’s essential to explore legal options for modifying your child support obligations rather than stopping payments altogether.

If You Need To Reduce Child Support Payments, You Can Call The Law Office Of William B. Bennett For Help Today

For Florida parents who have lost their job and must continue meeting child support obligations, there are options. The Law Office of William B. Bennett can help provide guidance. While a modification of payments may be possible if your income has been substantially reduced, you still have a duty to support your children. If you may be struggling to make ends meet, call us at (727) 821-8000 for a free consultation. You can also talk to us on our website here. The courts can be more forgiving than one may think. With the right approach, many parents can adjust child support plans without damaging the relationships with their children.

Tagged with: , ,

Posted in: Child Support